Don’t be a ‘turkey’ this November
November 10, 2023 by Keely Knopp
Celebration, family fun and the promise of a big meal often take center stage around the holidays, but it’s important to remember that things still can (and do) go awry — even during the most joyous of festivities.
In fact, house fires increase more than three times the daily national average on Thanksgiving, with cooking incidents responsible for almost half of the fires reported. So before gathering around the table this Thanksgiving, take some time to review these helpful safety tips, so that you can add “an accident-free holiday” to your gratitude list.
Top safety tips
- If you’re in on the cooking, stay in the kitchen and remain attentive to items on the stove. Set timers for items in the oven, and ensure all stovetop burners are turned off and cleared of debris when not in use.
- Keep young children away from kitchen dangers like hot stoves, knives and open flames.
- Keep a fire extinguisher near the kitchen. Baking soda can also be an effective way to extinguish small kitchen fires (and never use flour as a substitute).
- Keep the floor clear so you don’t trip over kids, toys, purses or bags.
- Make sure your smoke alarms are working properly.
- Don’t drink and drive. Thanksgiving has an increased risk of alcohol-related fatalities. In 2019, 29% of Thanksgiving fatalities involved an alcohol-impaired driver.
- Know basic first aid and CPR. With all the food Thanksgiving often brings, there’s an increased risk of choking (and of complications of heart disease). Knowing how to render basic first aid and CPR for these emergencies can save lives.
- Be careful and cautious while putting up decorations, and never decorate alone while using a ladder. Also, eliminate tripping hazards by taping down or removing extension cords from any possible pathways.
Remember: Despite all your best efforts, accidents can still happen. If you do end up needing medical assistance this holiday season, come visit us at one of Mercy Urgent Care’s eight Western North Carolina locations!