A brain injury needs prompt diagnosis and treatment. But it’s not always easy to detect. That’s why it’s important to get any head injury checked, even if you think you’re okay.
Fortunately, we can screen for concussions and other serious brain injuries right here at Mercy Urgent Care West on Patton Avenue, with an innovative new device called the BrainScope® One. A BrainScope One head injury assessment is…
- Fast: An assessment can be completed in as quickly as 10 minutes.
- Patient-friendly: It’s non-invasive.
- Accurate and comprehensive: BrainScope One is the only device that objectively assesses the entire spectrum of brain injury – including concussions.
- Convenient: Reduces the wait times, expense and stress of a typical ER visit.
- Peace of mind: Get the answers you need, and treatment if you need it.
What to expect
Mercy’s medical staff will discuss your injury and symptoms with you, then place a disposable BrainScope One headset on your head. It measures your brain electrical activity and neurocognitive function. Using a handheld portable screen, the clinician will review your data to answer two key questions:
- Is it likely that there’s a structural brain injury that would be visible on a CT scan?
- Is there evidence of functional abnormality that would indicate a concussion?
Depending on those results, you may be referred for proper treatment or further tests.
The BrainScope One assessment is currently available for patients 18-85 years of age, within 3 days of mild head injury. Mercy Urgent Care West is the exclusive provider of BrainScope in Buncombe County.